Canon 4.3-52mm Overview
The 4.3-52mm 4K UHD Portable Full-Servo Lens with 2x Extender from Canon combines the ability to provide optical performance that supports 4K UHD broadcast production with 4.3mm wide angle capability that is suited to create panoramic 4K imagery. Wide angle shooting has added creative options to many genres of program production including sports, documentaries, and drama. The nature of 4K UHD imagery inherently exploits wide angle shots by enabling panoramic vistas containing large amounts of image detail. An unprecedented 4.3mm produces a 96° horizontal angle of view for the 16:9 aspect ratio of UHD.
- Compatible with HD Lens Systems
- The CJ12ex4.3B 4K UHD wide-angle lens utilizes the same standard controllers for zoom and focus operations that have been optimized over decades of Canon HDTV lens developments. The lens also uses the standard Canon 20-pin connector that provides an interface for the digital precision positional information of the zoom, focus, and iris operations required by many external virtual systems.
- 2/3″ 4K Wide Angle Portable Lens
- It offers the shortest focal length of 4.3mm and the shortest MOD (Minimum Object Distance) of 30cm. This makes it possible to create images with extreme wide angles of view, with the shortest focal length for a 2/3″ 4K lens. As such, this lens supports subsequent 1920 x 1080 cropping from the 3840 x 2160 camera output providing full HDTV quality. Alternatively, the camera output can be down sampled to provide an even higher HDTV image sharpness.
- 4K Optical Performance
- The 4K UHD wide-angle lens is developed with high index optical glass materials, each having unique dispersion characteristics, helping to minimize chromatic aberrations, and geometric distortion. Lens element surface accuracy has been improved significantly over HDTV lenses contributing to the enhanced MTF (Modulation Transfer Function) performance required of 4K imagery.
- Built-In 2x Extender
- The portable 4K UHD wide-angle lens design is the built-in 2x optical extender. The insertion of that additional optical subsystem tends to exacerbate optical aberrations. Full 4K optical specifications are protected when the extender is switched in.
- Ease of Operation Ideal for 4K Shooting
- The Digital Drive Unit design takes into account the curved human hand that encompasses the unit, with a view of shaping the unit for comfort and to better facilitate the actuation of lens controls. The unit shape also provides a wider separation that allows the other hand to more easily adjust the focus control. The drive unit was narrowed and the mounting angle on the lens is set to allow the operator’s elbow to settle close to the body, providing an important reduction in fatigue when operating a shoulder mounted lens-camera system.